From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2015 09:57:30 -0500
Subject: persistent gaps between knowledge and practice

Steve Pedersen asks "../what are some of the gaps between knowledge and
practice you see that just drive you crazy?/". The list is endless, look
at the lists of so-called "lessons learned" from the Millennium
Development Goals (MDGs 2015). Every one of them was something we knew
in 2005!

As one of Einstein’s favorite quotes puts it: /"In theory, theory and
practice are the same. In practice, they are not."/ That is even more
true in social processes than it is in the physical sciences, because
everything depends on context, knowledge only has relevance in context,
and in social processes context is highly varied.

Consider: Given the size of a barrel, anyone with the right math can
tell you how many liters of oil it can hold. But, how many people will
fit on a 20 meter pleasure craft? It depends on whether the boat is
moored off North Africa facing a shore full of refugees, or the boat is
moored in Monaco and owned by a wealthy individual. Context should be
the initial consideration and the ongoing consideration in
implementation, and context depends on local knowledge, tacit knowledge
and outside knowledge.

How do we get context right? We have learned lessons here. Issue
assessment, program development, and implementation all have to involve
a multistakeholder bottom up approach that is more accountable to the
engaged community and less focused on meeting frequently wrongly
specified performance indicators imposed by funding sources. External
expertise is a contribution to the multistakeholder dialogue, but it is
neither a “silver bullet” nor a “trump card”.

If I had a New Year’s wish here it would be for more attention to
"humble knowledge", a more cautious use of "expert knowledge", and
greater multistakeholder engagement in the design, implementation, and
evaluation of our well-intended efforts

Sam Lanfranco (co-host of CLICK4HP)

--
"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius