Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Nov 2016 10:41:58 -0500
Yes. Twain attended a baseball game in Hartford and lost his umbrella. He
kept notes on the game. Daryl Brock published a good account of this in a
1999 booklet.

He also attended a football game (Yale?) later in life and found it
exciting.

I have a photo of Twain at what appears to be a tennis match in Italy but
his back is to the camera.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive
Austin TX 78730
512-345-4139
Member: ABAA, ILAB
*************************
You may browse our books at:
www.macdonnellrarebooks.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Hoffman
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2016 9:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Mark Twain was still alive...

Which brings up a question:  Is there evidence
from any writings of Twain, including letters, or
contemporaneous reports, of Twain attending a
major league baseball game?  (or professional
minor league game for that matter)?  Or of him
perusing the sports pages of the newspapers,
perhaps commenting upon scores or World Series
etc?  Any references to baseball during one of his
speeches?

Is there any indication if he had a rooting
interest in any team?  Perhaps Boston or one of
the New York teams (personally, I'm hoping he was
a fan of the NY Giants).  Or perhaps St. Louis?

I'm aware of course of that wonderful section of
Connecticut Yankee with Hank Morgan introducing
baseball to King Arthur's Court.  But I don't
recall coming across references to him following
baseball in his personal life.

As a lifelong baseball fan as well as Twainiac,
I'd be delighted to get answers to this query.

Steve Hoffman

Takoma Park, MD