From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (SAR))
Date:
===================== HES POSTING =====================

Paul Wendt, Watertown MA
Coordinator, Kress Seminar in HEcTh

HESsians---

The Kress Seminar is a Boston regional seminar in "history of economic
thought", meaning all terms broadly.  We are unaffiliated, although we
meet in a Harvard seminar room.

This year we have a truly "Spring" term schedule, meeting March to May.
Which is not to say no snowstorms!

We hope for two discussants of each paper, so there are a few open slots
noted "TBA" (to be arranged).  Contact me if you are interested AND able
to attend the session at your own expense.

----Paul

                       ---------------------------
                          Kress Seminar in the
                       History of Economic Thought

                               Spring 1997
                       ---------------------------

Thursday evenings, 7:40-10:00 p.m.
Littauer M16 (an economics seminar room)
Harvard University

All participants are welcome to join a subset for dinner beforehand: 6:00,
Singha House Thai Restaurant (1105 Mass Ave, Harvard Square), Dutch treat.

Papers are available from the authors (see below).

------
20 Mar
------
    Laurence Moss (Babson C)
        The Advent of the Mathematical Mind in the United States:
        Historical Problems Raised by the Edgeworth-Seligman Exchange

    Discussant: Robert Dorfman (Harvard U)
                TBA

-----
3 Apr
-----
    Mark Tomass (Babson C)
        The Relativist Fallacy of the Impossibility of Value-Neutral
        Political Economy:  A Case Study of the Causes and Consequences of
        Self-Regulating Markets

    Discussant: Yngve Ramstad (U Rhode Island)
                Joshua Cohen (U Amsterdam & Harvard U)

The case study features Hayek and Karl Polanyi on the development of
markets, especially their maybe-self regulation and maybe-good
consequences.  Mark Tomass addresses the big methodological question
indirectly, via the historical example, as in his earlier work on the
Fallacy of Incommensurability via monetary theories of Marx and Marshall.
    ----Paul Wendt

------
17 Apr
------
    TBA

-----
1 May
-----
    Mat Forstater (Gettysburg C)
        The Critique of Economic Laws and the Development of an
        Interpretive-Structural Economics [by Adolph Lowe].

    Discussant: Richard Adelstein (Wesleyan U)
                TBA

The paper examines Adolph Lowe's early (1930s-50s) critique of economic
"laws" in light of contemporary work in interpretive social science and
more recent developments in economics.  Lowe's critique is a very original
and underexamined work in the history of 20th century economic thought.
    ----Mat Forstater

------
15 May
------
    Bruce Elmslie (U New Hampshire)
        Theories of Convergence and Growth in the Classical Period: The
        Role of Science, Technology and Trade

    Co-author: Antoinette James Curtis (Randolph-Macon C)

    Discussant: TBA

After describing 18c intellectual origins of "concern over convergence"
(Hume, Tucker, Smith), the authors focus on the policy debate regarding
free trade in machinery in "the Classical Period" (Torrens, Babbage).
Crucial concepts of the actors include convergence as "parasitism" or
"contagion", thus leveling down or leveling up; and scientific and
technological innovation as naturally limited or limitless.
    ----Paul Wendt

====
The Kress Seminar is a Boston regional seminar in "history of economic
thought", meaning all terms broadly.  We are unaffiliated, although we
meet in a Harvard seminar room.

PAPERS are available only by arrangements with the authors:
    Laurence Moss <[log in to unmask]>
    Mark Tomass <[log in to unmask]>
    Mat Forstater <[log in to unmask]>
    Bruce Elmslie/ Economics, WSBE/ UNH/ Durham, NH 03824 USA

OTHERWISE: contact coordinator Paul Wendt <[log in to unmask]>.