From:
Martin Zehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2017 08:23:17 -0600
Peter:  This is a fascinating piece, full of pungent, sometimes even valid
criticism, well worth the read, considering Orwell's perspective. Like
Twain, however, he often exaggerates, and he definitely conveys a stylized
version of the American West, perhaps based on reading too many Ned
Buntline or Zane Grey novels.  Orwell seems to align himself with Van Wyck
Brooks' thesis in "The Ordeal of Mark Twain" that Twain was excessively
controlled by the women in his life, particularly Livy, the
"blue-penciller,"  but conveniently forgets that the word "hell" does make
it into Huck Finn.  Social criticism may not have been the full-time
vocation for Twain that it approaches for Orwell, but the author of pieces
like "Only A Nigger," "Disgraceful Persecution of a Boy," "To My Missionary
Critics" and "On Patriotism" certainly  had no hesitation in occasionally
warming up his pen in "hell," even knowing he would be in danger of losing
readers.  Twain may, as Orwell puts it, have had the flaw of the "inability
to despise success," but the comparison to Voltaire, who also enjoyed his
popularity, is perhaps more apt than Orwell would have us believe.
Thanks for this interesting link.
Martin Zehr

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>