From:
James Ahiakpor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 2020 12:02:55 -0700
I would like to add a little bit to Per Bylund's excellent clarification
of the libertarian philosophy and its counter to the aspersions that Ric
Holt casts upon liberty. First, Ric's throwing about "the tragedy of the
commons" in regard to the covid-19 pandemic appears to be completely out
of place. The tragedy of the commons arises in circumstances of no
enforcement of private property rights--where resources are held in
common.  He should have clarified which resources are being held in
common to be overwhelmed by the unrestrained harvesting of people to
lead to their depletion in the case of the covid-19 virus.  Most people
don't even know they've been infected and are therefore infecting others
until rather late when the symptoms of the disease begin to appear.

Second, I find it quite ironic that a virus escapes containment because
a communist, totalitarian regime in Wuhan, China is reported to have
interfered with the liberty of researchers and doctors early to
publicize alarm about its emergence.  And now some collectivist-inclined
people want to use that episode to call for more restraints on
individual liberty?  Rahm Emanuel's dictum, "never let a crisis go to
waste," seems to be getting good play here, it would appear.

Third, Ric could have consulted Adam Smith on his system of "Natural
Liberty" in the _Wealth of Nations_ (1776).  In it, "Every man, as long
as he does not violate the laws of justice, is left perfectly free to
pursue his own interest his own say, and to bring both his industry and
capital into competition with those of any other man, or order of men."
And Smith's duty to the sovereign in such a system includes "the duty of
protecting, as far as possible, every member of the society from the
injustice or oppression of every other member of it, or the duty of
establishing an exact administration of justice."  Smith thus does not
prescribe lawlessness, only that the laws of civil government conform
with "natural law."   In his _Theory of Moral Sentiments_ (1759) Smith
also warns against "The man of system [who] is apt to be very wise in
his own conceit, and is often so enamoured with the supposed beauty of
his own ideal plan of government, that he cannot suffer the smallest
deviation from any part of it ... he seems to imagine that he can
arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as
the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chess-board." The lack of
care in considering the possibility that members of society may have
inclinations different from what the man of system perceives, may lead
to "the game of human society [going] miserably, and the society must be
at all times in the highest degree of disorder."

Liberty promotes the betterment of society than collectivism, especially
the totalitarian kind.

James Ahiakpor

--
James C.W. Ahiakpor, Ph.D.