From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:

Sender: [log in to unmask] [Roy Weintraub]
Subject: Re: HES: QUERY -- Refereeing references

> I am not quite sure what Roy's student means by "refereeing process".
> However, there is some research on the results of blind versus
> double-blind refereeing from the point of view of gender bias and about
> the effect of women authors's names, by Marianne Ferber and several
> coauthors. These are listed in the references to Ferber and Julie
> Nelson's essay in _Beyond Economic Man_, which I haven't with me
> now. The articles themselve, as I recall them, cite similar literature.
>
> Mary Ann

The query seems to have produced some confusion. It was, in fact, a
"history of economics" question: have there been examinations of the
evolution of refereeing practices? For instance, in early days of the
EJ, the editor himself appears to have made all publishing calls,
perhaps with a near-to-hand reader to confirm a point or two. We do
not operate this way today. How and why did these practices evolve:
there are certainly archival repositories of editorial correspondence
which some may have examined ...
Thanks.

[Roy Weintraub]