From:
John Médaille <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 19:56:08 -0400
I am having some difficulty in understanding the
notion of "spontaneous order." "Order" in this
context can only mean "action in conformity with
a rule," a definition that would seem to exclude
spontaneity. One could assert that the rules
arise spontaneously, but I doubt it. They may
arise organically by groups discovering by trial
and error or other means what works to their
purpose or not, but that wouldn't be spontaneous by any reasonable definition.

Of course, different rules allow for different
degrees of freedom, for more or fewer
configurations. The rules of football provide for
a variety of formations, the rules of baseball do
not. But all of these formations are predictable
(in principle) from the rules.

The only space I can see for spontaneity, broadly
defined, is in evolution of the system of rules.
Rules will not cover all situations in a complex
society, and hence there will be opportunities to
decide on new rules. One can say that these
opportunities arise spontaneously, I suppose, but
neither the rule nor the resulting will be spontaneous.

Spontaneity would seem to be a rule of disorder
rather than order. The disorder itself may serve
as a means of discovering different forms of
order (rules), but cannot be that order itself.

John C. Médaille