AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Suzanne Dubeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Dubeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2018 09:28:10 -0400
Dear Colleagues...

A librarian co-worker has asked me where he can find information about
where archivists stand with regard to the CBC's current digitization
project that includes the destruction of its broadcast original
recordings post-digitization. See one story about it here:

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2018/04/19/cbc-is-destroying-its-broadcast-archives-after-theyre-digitized.html

He said he could not find anything on archival association websites, or
social media, speaking about how misguided this is.

I think he raises some good points. This action by such an important
Canadian institution certainly undermines any arguments we make as a
profession about why it is important to keep originals. Does anyone know
if any statements have been made by archival associations in response to
this action?  I don't recall seeing anything myself but I may have
missed it.

It is interesting that the French-language service intends to retain its
master recordings after digitizing the content. We know that the extent
of the holdings would be and is a major challenge and I'm sure it's safe
to say that the CBC archives is no doubt seriously under-resourced as we
all are, but is there no way the archival community can respond either
for or against?

Suzanne

--

Suzanne Dubeau, MISt
Assistant Head, Clara Thomas Archives & Special Collections