AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Marshall, Amy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:52:36 -0400
Further to my posting of October 18: I know that the suspension of the normal CCA grant application process may be discouraging to many AAO members.  We've all been aware of the CCA funding review going on in Ottawa, but now it's hitting closer to home for many of us.  But the last thing any of us should do is give up!

In recent years we have seen abrupt cuts and discontinuation of the CAIN grant fund, and a steady whittling down of the Control of Holdings fund so that a cap had to be imposed on grant amounts last year.  All of the CCA grant programs are competitive and require investment of scant resources by applicant institutions.  So I can understand if you are now wondering "why should we take the time to design a project and fill out this 'expression of interest' form for funding that isn't even guaranteed to be there?"

My answer is: the CCA needs to be able to show the federal government that demand for these funding programs is still strong, and it needs evidence of all the great work archival institutions are ready to do to make their collections accessible to the public.  Expressing your institution's interest in grant funding is a way to stand up and be counted -- and, of course, there's the possibility that grant money will be available, so this is your chance to go for it.

The form is brief and easy to fill out.  If you have a look, you'll see that the categories for projects have been broadened, so if you felt restricted by the old programs, this is your chance to describe what you want to do.

While you're at it, take a few moments to let the CCA know what great results you've had from grants you've received in the past, and what kind of difference this work has made to your researchers.  All of these stories help in making the case for funding renewal.  Visit http://www.cdncouncilarchives.ca/advocacy_kit.html or email Christina Nichols, CCA Executive Director, at [log in to unmask]

So, take heart, please "express your interest", and of course don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Amy Marshall
Chair, Institutional Development Committee
Archives Association of Ontario
tel 416-979-6660 ext 356

.

______________________________________________  Modigliani: Beyond the Myth Experience the works of a bohemian genius.  The only Canadian venue. Opening October 23rd.  Tickets on sale now - Call 416-979-6608. Members visit free. Join today.  Art Gallery of Ontario - http://www.ago.net ______________________________________________