AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:10:33 -0400
From:
Robin Keirstead <[log in to unmask]>
7BIT
Comments:
To: Laurie McBeth <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Laurie:  I just read your note and thought I would pass along a
couple of quick comments. I wonder if in this instance there is a need
to distinguish between the potential end of microfilm cameras and the
end of microfilm as a storage medium.  While from what I understand film
cameras are indeed being phased out, images of documents that are
captured with digital cameras can still be output into film or fiche if
desired (shades of the good old COM method), in addition to CD.  I
believe that some service bureaus are doing this now and I would not be
surprised if some clients don't even realize that their microfilm images
are not being taken with a traditional film camera.  Thus, while I do
not profess to be an expert on the intricacies of microfilming, I don't
think we are on the brink of losing access to microfilm itself as a long
term archival preservation medium.  Regards, Robin

--

Robin Keirstead
University Archivist

Tel:  (519) 661-2111 x87289