From:
Keith Tribe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2018 11:47:46 +0100
I read with great sadness of Evert's death, a kind and generous man.  I
first met Evert in the early 1980s in the context of the
Institutionalisation Project led by Istvan Hont, and was very impressed
by, and envious of, his devotion to speed skating on Dutch canals.  I
don't know when the canals last froze hard enough for a proper circuit,
but I was in Uppsala this year when the regular Uppsala to Stockholm
race took place on Lake Malaran, and that had reminded me of Evert's
enthusiasm.

Another important memory is connected to the Institutionalisation
project - I was in New York with Istvan, and the HES was meeting at
Columbia. Both Istvan and I were at the time rather discouraged by the
lack of range in the American contributions, and were considering what
we might do about it.  Discussing this with Evert, he argued forcefully
for discussion and collaboration, for a more positive approach and for
trust in the goodwill of our colleagues.  We quickly conceded that he
was right and we were wrong.  He set an example to us all.

Keith Tribe

--
Professorial Fellow, Swedish Collegium for Advanced Study, Uppsala