From:
John Médaille <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:42:46 -0400
Gavin, this article may sheds some light on what
you are saying:
<http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/98mar/misquote.htm>http://www.theatlanticcom/issues/98mar/misquote.htm

I believe Smith used the phrase three times. Once
in TMS, where he applied it to the division of
property; once in WN in connection with foreign
trade; and once in the essay on Astronomy where
it applies to gravity (I presume; I haven't read
that essay). Yet somehow, the whole of his thesis
tends to get reduced to this one phrase used in an sense he did not use it.

It was a popular metaphor of the day. Someone
(perhaps it was on this list) has identified some
35 uses outside of Smith at about the same time.
It was merely an expression of the deism popular
among intellectuals of the day.

It gets mixed up, I believe, with the
"self-interest" of the butcher, baker, etc., but
even that doesn't mean what we generally take it
for today. Smith was not Mandeville.

John C. Médaille