From:
Alain Alcouffe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:39:16 +0100
Hi
I am completing the translation of my book Adam Smith in Toulouse and
Occitania (Toulouse, Privat, 2018). Smith stayed in Toulouse from March
1764 to October 1765. At the question why this long stay in Toulouse,
the local gossip was "free masonry". I did not find any evidence linking
Smith to free masonry but it is striking that 1) his pupil, Henry Scot,
later 3rd Duke of Buccleugh was the grand son of Francis Scott, earl of
Dalkeith who from 24 June 1723 to 24 June 1724 held the office of Grand
Master of Freemasons, that 2) in Toulouse his guide was Abbé Colbert
whose father George was a founding member of Inverness lodge while his
uncle - officier in Royal Ecossois was a member of the Regiment lodge.
Abbé Colbert was "testamentary executor" of Nicholas Barnwall whose
father was the founder of freemasonry in Toulouse, that (3) in Bordeaux
he met Duke of Richelieu, another free mason, that (4) in Bordeaux and
Bagnères he met Montesquieu's son (Montesquieu was a free mason). In
Toulouse he met Attorney General Riquet de Bonrepos and
his cousin Riquet de Caraman who were free masons.
Besides in Toulouse the archbishop was Loménie de Brienne wo has
succeeded to the Jacobite Arthur Richard Dillon who has helped the
Barnwall family to get letters of naturalization
Loménie de Brienne, celebrated by D. Hume, has written The conciliator
where he recommended tolerance. Pierre Chevallier who has extensively
studied Loménie de Brienne wrote that Loménie de Brienne was "freemason
friendly" even if there is no evidence supporting he belonged to the Order.
Probably we never know more about Smith and freemasonry and it is futile
to add a quarter of a proof, plus a quarter of a proof, plus half a
proof in order to equal one complete proof.
Best regards
AA