From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2013 04:10:47 -0800
The end of the analysis? Citing Ricardo ("Machinery and labour are in constant competition, and the former can frequently not be employed until labour rises") Hayek (1942, 127) explained that he was using "the familiar Ricardian proposition that a rise in wages will encourage capitalists to substitute machinery for labour". If a movement up a labour demand curve (forgive the previous jet-lagged in-exactitude) causes an outward shift of the curve, this represents an equilibrating force: not included in Hayek's analysis. Hysteresis - which failed to dislodge the equilibrium paradigm - may be present.

Is there a compelling (as opposed to our collective gut) reason to conclude that there would be "still a net unemployment of labor created."

RL

F.A. v Hayek. 1942. The Ricardo Effect. Economica New Series, Vol. 9, No. 34