From:
Roger Sandilands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 11:07:02 +0000
Mason Gaffney is right to focus on the origins of the concept of mercantilism as well as the name.
In using a different name for the same, Mason cites Anne Krueger and Gordon Tullock on “rent-seeking” (through the special pleading of interest groups seeking protection).
A famous case in point is David Ricardo’s campaign for the abolition of the 19th century Corn Laws (of great relevance for the Brexit debate today). Following Adam Smith’s condemnation of mercantilism, Ricardo urged the protection of consumers’ rather than producers’ interests. Or, rather, in Ricardo’s view, that consumers should be protected against the interests of _landlords_. For farmers’ interests did not necessarily coincide with those of landlords because high food prices also meant high rents for _tenant_ farmers. For the social interest to prevail, and to reduce destructive taxes on earned incomes, Ricardo wanted the state to collect unearned rents instead. These were “the free gifts of nature”, as well as the result of taxpayer-funded rural and urban infrastructure; and increasing demand for land presses against a fixed supply.
Ricardo’s most enthusiastic follower was Henry George who, in Protection or Free Trade (1886), made a much broader argument than in the modern “rent-seeking” literature. For even with a complete abolition of tariffs, there would still be rent.
Indeed, even more than before. For liberalised trade increases productivity. Increased real incomes then increase demand for land, driving up rural and, especially, urban rents. If governments do not collect these, they must tax earned incomes instead. Ironically, the resulting adverse incentive effects and “deadweight losses” in turn depress rents. But the converse is also true, as the physiocrats understood.
That message is deeper than in modern “rent-seeking” literature: absent rent as the primary source of state revenue, “free trade” will not abolish privately captured rent; it will only redistribute it. And, in line with Henry George’s most famous book (1879), Progress and Poverty will continue to go hand in hand.
- Roger Sandilands