From:
[log in to unmask] (James Michael Craven)
Date:
======================== HES POSTING ==================

> Jim Craven's baseless and vulgar charge against Milton Friedman brings to
> mind that Friedman's advocacy of freedom, noninflationary monetary policy,
> and limited government has indeed been associated with efforts to censor.
> But Friedman was never the censor; he was the one censored.

My Response: What does the censorship or attempted censorship of
Friedman have to do with the nature of the regime (Pinochet) with
which he worked, the fact that he worked with than regime, the
consequences of the policies of that regime or the consequences of
Friedman's work with that regime in consolidating and legitimating
it? This is a non-sequitur and sleight of hand.

What does it take to document the nazi-like nature of the Pinochet
regime? Perhaps we could begin with a list of all of those nazi war
criminals like Walter Rauff (designer of the mobile gas chamber) who
held high-level internal security positions in the Pinochet regime.
Perhaps we could note that many of the same groups targeted by the
nazis (progressive intellectuals, gays, trade-unionists etc) were
also the targets of the Pinochet regime. Perhaps we could note the
virulent anti-Semitic and cultist propaganda coming out from the
Pincohet regime. Perhaps we could note the torture techniques that
were directly and explicitly copied from the nazis. I find it
interesting that anyone would question or at least summarily wave
away consideration of the ugly fascist nature and consequences of the
Pinochet regime while being so concerned about Friedman's
sensibilities or free speech. However much inconvenience or distress
Friedman may have suffered (and I do not support shouting him down
but I do support protesting against him like protesting against any
other collaborator with evil) it was nothing compared with the death
and torture suffered by those victims of that regime for which he
worked.

Dan Hammond wrote:

> Before Chile, in 1974, members of the Students for a Democratic Society
> tried to shout Friedman down as he gave a talk at the Oriental Institute in
> Chicago. After Anthony Lewis's _New York Times_ article (October 2, 1975)
> accusing him of contributing to repression of Chile's poor, a "Committee
> Against Friedman/Harberger Collaboration With the Chilean Junta" was formed
> at Chicago. The group's posters on the University of Chicago campus called
> for members of the community to "drive Friedman off campus through protest
> and exposure."
>
> After the announcement of Friedman's Nobel Prize there were protests, and
> the Friedmans were given special protection during their stay in Stockholm
> for the ceremonies. Other efforts by demonstrators to silence him followed
> after the Friedmans returned to the U.S.
>
> If censorship is measured by the effort made to silence a person, which
> economists have been subject to more censorship than Milton
Friedman?

My response:

Is this really serious? Orlando Letalier was an economist and he is
dead--murdered by the Pinochet regime. Along with Letalier, many
other economists and non-economists have suffered the ultimate form
of censorship--torture and death. One of my dear friends, an
economist, watched his wife being gang-raped and murdered in front of
him; they kept him alive because they thought he was some kind of
militant and leader--he was neither at the time, but remains so today.
And since we are playing guilt by association--lumping me in with
those who sought to silence Friedman on the basis that I also condemn
Friedman as a collaborator with fascists so therefore I must also
advocate silencing him--let's play the same game: what is it about
Friedman and his policies and ideology that the highly ideological
fascists of the Pinochet regime would find attractive or able to work
with?

This is simply sleight of hand--diversion of attention to the
purported censorship of poor Friedman from attention to the nature of
the regime with which he worked, the policies and consequences of
that regime, the consequences of Friedman's work with than regime,
the naked hypocrisy of Friedman's purported obsession with "personal
liberty" and "anti-government" while working for a regime that
respected neither "personal liberty" nor "limited government".

I retract nothing about Friedman that I have said. In fact, in
deference to some of the "refined intellectual" sensibilities obvious
in the writings on this list, I have been extremely measured in
expressing the absolute contempt I have for the likes of Friedman or
anyone who works with despotism--on the right or on the left.

Jim Craven
Dept of Economics
Clark College