From:
[log in to unmask] (Anthony Brewer)
Date:
=================== HES POSTING =====================

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997 09:57:37 MST James Michael Craven
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I retract nothing about Friedman that I have said. In fact, in
> deference to some of the "refined intellectual" sensibilities obvious
> in the writings on this list, I have been extremely measured in
> expressing the absolute contempt I have for the likes of Friedman or
> anyone who works with despotism--on the right or on the left.

The human rights abuses of the Pinochet regime cannot be defended.
Anyone who supported them should be ashamed. The same goes for all
those who defended China, Cuba, and the like. (Joan Robinson comes to
mind.) I recall disgraceful levels of adulation towards these tyrannies
which must have been at least as bad as Pinochet, if only because they had
larger populations to abuse, over a longer period.

But I wonder how many of us are really in a position to throw stones.
Economists are as short sighted and blinkered as the rest of humanity,
if sometimes even more naive.

Tony Brewer ([log in to unmask])
University of Bristol, Department of Economics