From:
[log in to unmask] (Mary Schweitzer)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ===================

One has to admit, however, that Milton Friedman is part of a group of
economists who are particularly frustrating (to me at least) because
they consistently, disingenuously, conflate private goals and
preferences with economic theory.  Friedman has written some brilliant
papers on economic theory; he has also presented his own views on social
goals as if they were the inevitable conclusion of any sound economic
theory -- leaving a lay audience unable to distinguish between where the
profession ends and Milton Friedman begins.

If he is going to publicly present his own personal viewpoints as
representative of the profession of economics (which he does:  witness
his PBS specials on economics), then he should be subject to open
criticism within the profession as to where those viewpoints have led in
the real world.

I have had to explain to more than one non-economist that Friedman won
his Nobel Prize for economic scholarship, not for his political views.
.... I think.

Mary Schweitzer, Assoc. Prof., Dept. of History, Villanova University
(on leave since January 1995)