From:
Robert Leeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2015 10:48:40 +0000
Thanks you Thomas, most helpful. May I pick your central banking brain further to guide me into what for me is a new area?

I presume that c (the public’s desired cash/deposit) is relatively stable?

And that r (the bankers’ desired reserves/deposit ratio) has been sabotaging monetary policy intentions?

Why does the Fed use "primary dealers" with long histories of fines and penalties?

Banks have historically come to the Discount Window (e.g. in what is now the cafeteria of the New York Fed) when they require assistance. Why doesn't the Fed operate monetary policy *directly* through the banks that they wish to encourage to make loans?

Is there any literature on the flows between the primary dealers and their secondary customers? E.g.: the Fed creates reserves by crediting MF Global's account - is there any literature on what MF Global does with those reserves (if they are acting on behalf of a secondary customer, the reserves will presumably be transferred out of their account - minus a commission?)