From:
James Ahiakpor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2020 11:02:27 -0700
I very much applaud Steve Meardon for his intervention.  I wasn't going
to read all of the Executive Committee Statement.  The first two
sentences were a put-off for me.  I saw the piece as a kind of "virtue
signalling," not worth my bother.  But because of Steve's post and the
comments it has generated, I've gone back to read the whole statement,
and then re-read Steve's post.  I couldn't agree with Steve more.

Steve very well reflects the warm friendships I've felt since
participating at HES conferences from 1983, Charlottesville, VA. Through
the subsequent years I can recall the warmth of people like Jerry
Evensky, Bob Clower, Stanley Bober, Larry Moss, Petur Jonsson, Larry
Boland, Michael Goozeit, Michael Perelman, Steve Kates, Don Matthews,
Dave Colander, and Roger Sandilands.  Such a mix of ideological or
theoretical perspectives my list makes.  If there was racial
discrimination towards me, I must have been too blind not to have
noticed it.   Anyhow, just as I don't make friends with everybody I
meet, I don't expect personal liking from everyone else.  I think
economists should be the last among those to be told the meaning of
individual choice-making.

So, thank you Steve.  I hope signers of the statement take your comments
seriously.  How appalling that someone thinks white people should be
silent over debate on racism?  Terrible that the "cancel culture" would
find its invitation to an academic community like HES.  Or is it because
they share BLM's agenda on a social revolution in America?  Totally
extraneous to the mission of the History of Economics Society.

James Ahiakpor

--
James C.W. Ahiakpor, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus