From:
James Ahiakpor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 2020 12:49:26 -0700
Even after about the 25 years of interacting with Ric Holt online, I'm
yet to be sure that when he says he's advancing an argument "mostly for
[his] benefit" he means it.  I still have my suspicion that he's trying
to push an agenda with stealth.  But if I'm wrong, I'd like to respond
to his latest contribution.

A study of the development of imperialism, which Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana
quoted from Vladimir Lenin to mean "the last stage of colonialism,"
shouldn't be motivated by the cowardly killing of George Floyd by
officer Derek Chavin.  Cowardly because Derek knew George from their
common part-time night club workplace.  George had been handcuffed at
the back.  He was lying face down and was being restrained by two other
officers while a third was shooing off any by-standers from
intervening.  Derek didn't confront George when he was upright and
without handcuffs.  His egregious crime is going to be punished, along
with his accomplices, accord to law.  I don't know anyone who hasn't
been disgusted by that dastardly act.

But does that give legitimacy to those claiming to be Marxist trained to
pursue an agenda of a Marxist social revolution in behalf of black
lives?  Do black lives matter only when unjustly taken by the police?
What about the dozens of blacks killed every week by other blacks?  The
drafters of statements like that of the HES executive and the AEA (I
skipped reading all of that after the first two sentences the first time
until John Davis's re-posting yesterday) don't mention any of that.
Would research of the kind Ric is thinking about do anything to improve
the lives of blacks? I don't think so.  Would such research be judged on
a lower standard of quality for publication?  I hope not.  Their authors
would simply be exposed to contradiction in print, otherwise.  So why
peddle a false hope?  Young scholars should be told (shown) how to
pursue research topics and persevere to publication stage.

In Ric's outline, I find little hint of interest in assessing the
material outcome of the Marxist influence in the economic well-being of
people in the world where Marxists have ruled; China's economy didn't
improve from a Marxist blue-print.  It must have taken quite a bit of
willingness to admit reality for Joan Robinson to write, "as we see
nowadays in South-East Asia or the Caribbean, the misery of being
exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being
exploited at all" (1962, p. 46).  Thus, those who have looked towards
the future rather than kept mired in the grievance of the past, which
colonialism and imperialism studies tend to promote, have moved forward
in their economic development.  Look at the formerly colonized countries
of Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia, Botswana, and Barbados.  In the
Caribbean, I've observed that many of the "still colonized," like Grand
Cayman Island, fare materially much better than most of the independent
islands, like St Kitts or Dominica.

I wrote up the terrible harm that came to the people of Ghana (1982-83)
at the hands of people motivated by Marxism (/International
Organization/, summer 1985).  I shudder at the thought of what will
befall the US, should the BLM leaders succeed with their agenda.  Yet
statements rightly condemning the killing of George Floyd are silent
about the possible destruction of American society in pursuit of the BLM
agenda.  Sure, there are Marxist-inclined among us.  What they can't
achieve through the ballot box they may wish to see its realization by
taking advantage of the horrific killing of George Floyd.  I see
duplicity in that.  I also see "soft racism" in the apparent pledges to
set a different standard of assessment for research output from minority
scholars.  I doubt that the /Review of Black Political Economy/ adopts
that standard for accepting manuscripts submitted to it.

James Ahiakpor

--
James C.W. Ahiakpor, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus