AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Iona McCraith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:02:16 -0500
Archives Emergency Response Network (AERN)

The AAO invites AAO members to join the Archives Emergency Response Network.
This is a network of AAO members that can come to each other’s assistance in
times of an emergency, such as following a fire or flood.  A quick and
effective response to an emergency results in less damage to records and a
faster resumption of normal operations.  Smaller institutions with perhaps
only one or two staff, or with little experience in emergency response, will
especially benefit from joining the Network.

The Network is being organized as clusters of AAO members within the four
chapters of the AAO – Eastern Ontario, Northwestern Ontario, Southwestern
Ontario  and Toronto Area.  As the Network grows in membership these groups
may be further sub-divided.

There is no cost to participate in the Network and membership is open to all
AAO members, both individual and institutional.  The AAO Preservation
Consultant is Co-ordinator for the Archives Emergency Response Network;
maintaining  and distributing the participants list and providing tools and
information to the Network  groups.  Interested participants receive a
Memorandum of Understanding to sign, indicating their willingness to
participate in the Network, and their contact information is added to the
Network membership list that is distributed to all AERN participants. The
MOU is available on the AAO Web site at http://aao.fis.utoronto.ca or from
the Preservation Consultant).

For more information or to join the Archives Emergency Response Network
please contact:

Iona McCraith

AAO Preservation Consultant

22 Slalom Drive, Bethany, Ontario L0A 1A0

Phone: (705) 277-1309

Fax: (705) 277-2091

                                                                    E-mail:

Archives Emergency Response Network: FAQ’s

Implementation of the AAO’s Archives Emergency Response Network (A.E.R.N.)
is now under way.  Several members have already signed the Memorandum of
Understanding (MOU) and I hope to soon have many more participants in
A.E.R.N. A few questions have arisen as members have contacted me about
joining.  This information will, I hope, provide answers to some of the
frequently asked questions.

What does signing the MOU mean?

Signing the MOU means only that an AAO institutional or individual member,
wishes to participate.  It places no binding obligation to respond to any
other member’s request for assistance. The Memorandum is simply a document
to spell out how the A.E.R.N. works, and some of the roles and
responsibilities of participating members.

Can anyone join the A.E.R.N.?

At present membership in the A.E.R.N. is only offered to members in good
standing of the Archives Association of Ontario.  Once the Network is more
fully established it may be possible for the AAO to offer membership to
other groups or individuals.

How do I know who else in my area belongs to A.E.R.N.?

The AAO Preservation Consultant will compile and maintain a list of all
members within each region.  The regional list with contact information will
be distributed to all members in that area.

How do I cancel participation in A.E.R.N.?

At any time simply notify the AAO Preservation Consultant that you no longer
wish to participate and your name will be removed from the list of Network
members.

What are the regional groups of the A.E.R.N.?

The Network is based on the current four AAO Chapters, with further
breakdowns into regional groups whose members are geographically close
enough to assist each other.

Do I have to be experienced in disaster response?

Absolutely not!   Many AAO members will not have had experience or training
in emergency response or salvage procedures.  This does not prevent you from
lending assistance.  A pair of willing hands, with someone to provide
direction and advice, is most useful in an emergency.

What assistance will AAO provide to the A.E.R.N. regional groups?

The AAO Preservation Consultant will remain a resource, who can be contacted
in an emergency as is now the case.  Information kits on emergency response
procedures and salvage techniques will be distributed to the regional
groups, along with other basic response tools. Contact lists of trained
resource professionals will be provided for each region, where available
ones exist.

I hope this information answers some of your questions and will encourage
everyone to participate.  You may never be called upon to assist.  You may
never need assistance.  But isn’t it reassuring to know that organized help
is only a phone call or email away.

JOIN A.E.R.N. NOW!