AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:43:48 -0500
8bit
From:
"Anna St.Onge" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
(Apologies for cross-posting)

Good afternoon:

I know of a few colleagues who attended the Museum of Civilization public
consultations last week in Edmonton.  I myself will be attending the Toronto
sessions to be held this Tuesday and Wednesday.  If you're in the GTA, I'd
encourage anyone with an interest in Canadian heritage to RSVP for the event.
You can sign up to attend the session here: [log in to unmask]

I'm interested to see how the administrators of the changing mandate are
soliciting feedback on the direction and focus on the soon to be "Canadian
Museum of History." If there's interest on the list-serv(s), I'd be happy to
circulate a wee report of my observations later this week. I'd also be
interested in hearing how the other sessions are going in other Canadian
cities, if anyone is keen to share.

best,
Anna St.Onge

Here are the details:

"We will be holding a panel followed by a roundtable discussion on Tuesday,
December 11, 2012, from 7 to 9 p.m., at the Toronto Reference Library, Epic
Hall and Prologue, 789 Yonge Street, in Toronto.

We will kick-off the evening with a dynamic panel discussion "My History Museum:
A to Zed" by asking prominent Canadians, what they would put in a Canadian
history museum of their making.

This will be followed by a roundtable discussion where we will ask you how you
would like to engage with your national history museum. How can the museum meet
your needs and interests from here in Toronto?"

I just heard back from the Museum of Civilization twitter feed that the panel in
Toronto will include:

PIERRE BOIS (President of the Board of Directors) is the Special Projects
Manager at the Ontario Museum Association (OMA) since 2007 and guest instructor
at Fleming College in Peterborough and Centennial College in Toronto. He
specializes in museum technology and communications, and in cultural
administration. He graduated from Laurentian University with a BA in History,
and obtained a certificate in Museum Management and Curatorship from Fleming
College. Pierre is a franco-ontarien from northern Ontario.

JEREMY DIAMOND is a Director at The Historica-Dominion Institute, Canada’s
largest independent organization dedicated to history and citizenship. Its
mandate is to build active and informed citizens through a greater knowledge
and appreciation of the history, heritage and stories of Canada. Visit
www.historica-dominion.ca.

SEEMA JETHALAL is Managing Director of the Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre
(recently renamed the Daniels Spectrum).  She recently transitioned out of her
role as Managing Director of Manifesto Community Projects – a non-profit arts
organization.  Seema is a member of Civic Action's Emerging Leaders Network,
Artreach Toronto's Community Advisory Committee and the Neighbourhood Arts
Network Advisory Committee.  She holds a B.A. in Cultural Studies from McGill
University, an M.A. in Media Production from Ryerson University and has worked
for cultural institutions and organizations including ArtReach Toronto, Lord
Cultural Resources, Ninja Tune Records and Iqra Music (Zaki Ibrahim).

SEAN KHERAJ is an assistant professor in the Department of History at York
University and is producer and host of Nature's Past, the Canadian
environmental history podcast. He holds a B.A. in History from the University
of British Columbia and an M.A. and Ph.D in History from York University.  His
research focuses on Canadian and urban history, specifically the
interrelationship between humans, non-human animals, and urbanization in
Canada.