Sender:
From:
John Womack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:46:52 -0400
I encourage you to pursue the matter.

If the author in question is an academic in the United States, you
would have several options. One would be to write to the dean of the
faculty where the author is a member. (Don't bother writing to the
chairman or chairwoman, because they will only send the letter to the
dean.) Another option would be to write to the American Association
of University Professors. But your protest would probably die quietly
there. See http://hnn.us/articles/616.html .

Probably your best bet is to write to the American Philosophical
Association: http://www.apaonline.org/default.aspx . However, I
cannot find there any sign of a committee on "professional ethics,"
like that in the American Historical Association. Regarding the
latter, here is its position, at least (almost) 19 years ago:

American Historical Association, Statement on Plagiarism

(Adopted May 1986; amended May 1990)

Editor's Note: This statement was prepared by John

Higham, Johns Hopkins University, and

Robert L. Zangrando, University of Akron.

I. Identifying Plagiarism

The word plagiarism can be traced to its Latin roots: plagiarius, an
abductor or plunderer, and plagiare, to steal. The expropriation of
another author's findings, interpretation, or text, presented
thereafter as one's own creation without proper attribution to its
actual source, is a cardinal violation of the ethics of scholarship.
The plagiarist undermines the credibility of historical inquiry and
betrays the code of the entire scholarly community.

In 1956 J. Bronowski, in his book Science and Human

Values (Julian Messner, Inc.), declared that:

.. [A] II our knowledge has been built up communally.... It follows
that we must be able to rely on other people; we must be able to
trust their word. That is, it follows that there is a principle which
binds society together, because without it the individual would be
helpless to tell the true from false. This principle is truthfulness.
If we accept truth as an individual criterion, then we have also to
make it the cement to hold society together.

Bronowski's injunction applied to the historical profession with
special force, since a critical knowledge of the source of everything
we examine is so central to our craft. Accordingly, historians place
a high value on procedures for continually weighing the origin and
reliability of their work. Book reviews serve this purpose. We expect
a bibliography to mark out the range of an author's investigation and
to aid the research of others. We require the approval of doctoral
dissertations by several well-qualified readers and a further
evaluation of manuscripts by expert referees prior to publication.
Most especially, we depend on footnotes to validate evidence. By
these measures we declare our commitment to accuracy, responsible
judgment, and probity, and thereby affirm our disavowal of shoddy
endeavors whether born of haste, inadequate research, faulty
calculations, or misrepresentation.

In addition to the harm that plagiarism does to the pursuit of truth,
it is also an offense against the literary rights of the original
author and the property rights of the copyright owner. Detection can
therefore result not only in academic sanctions (such as dismissal
from a graduate program, termination of a faculty contract, denial of
promotion or tenure) but also civil or criminal prosecution. Civil
action depends on the willingness of the injured author or publisher
to sue. Criminal cases arise only if the authorities decide to
enforce such applicable statutes as the New York State education law
(213-b, from McKinney's Consolidated Laws of New York Annotated, Book
16 [West Publishing, 1984]) against the sale of dissertations,
theses, or term papers by commercial entrepreneurs. As a practical
matter, plagiarism between scholars rarely gets into court.
Publishers are eager to avoid adverse publicity, and an injured
scholar is unlikely to seek material compensation for
misappropriation of what he or she gave gladly to the world. The real
penalty for plagiarism is the abhorrence of the community of scholars.

Plagiarism tests our powers of discrimination because it takes many
forms and appears in varying degrees. Most transparently, it involves
the use of another person's language and sources without citation.
More subtle is the unacknowledged appropriation of concepts, data,
and footnotes, all disguised in paraphrased or newly crafted
sentences. Alternatively, an artful historian can minimize a
significant obligation by casually mentioning that work in an early
footnote and thereafter regularly using its analysis without further
attribution. What is demonstrably plagiaristic shades off into an
unworthy disregard for the contributions of others.

Some types of historical writing, such as textbooks, encyclopedia
articles, and popular syntheses, do not require a conscientious
display of sources. As knowledge is disseminated to a wide public, it
loses some of its personal reference. What belongs to whom
necessarily becomes less distinct. But the prohibition against
reproducing the sentences of others without quotation or
acknowledgment applies just as strongly here as it does in academic discourse.

The threat of plagiarism is always present. The struggle for tenured
positions is intense, while the moral responsibilities of individuals
to one another are greatly unsettled. The temptation to gain unearned
advantage becomes greater now that there are so many publishing
outlets for highly specialized research, which very few readers can
trace to an unacknowledged source. All those factors are commonly
cited in accounting for the astonishingly widespread instances of
fraud and plagiarism that have come to light in recent years in the
natural sciences. The same factors affect historians.

11. Resisting Plagiarism

All who participate in the community of inquiry, as amateurs or as
professionals, as students or as established historians, have an
obligation to oppose deception actively in themselves and in others.
This obligation bears with special weight on the directors of
graduate seminars. They are critical in shaping a young historian's
perception of the ethics of scholarship. It is therefore incumbent on
graduate teachers to seek opportunities for making the seminar also a
workshop in scholarly integrity. After leaving graduate school, every
historian will have to depend primarily on vigilant self-criticism.
Throughout our lives none of us can cease to question the claims our
work makes and the sort of credit it grants to others.

But just as important as the self-criticism that guards us from
self-deception is the formation of work habits that automatically
protect a scholar from plagiarism. The plagiarist's standard
defense-that he or she was misled by hastily taken and imperfect
notes-is plausible only in the context of a wider tolerance of shoddy
work. A basic rule of good note taking requires every researcher to
distinguish scrupulously between exact quotation and paraphrase. A
basic rule of good writing warns us against following our own
paraphrased notes slavishly. When a historian simply links one
paraphrase to the next, even if the sources are cited, a kind of
structural plagiarism takes place; the writer is implicitly claiming
a shaping intelligence that actually belonged to the sources. Faced
with charges of failing to acknowledge dependence on certain sources,
a historian usually pleads that the lapse was inadvertent. This
excuse will be easily disposed of if scholars take seriously the
injunction to check their manuscripts against the underlying texts
prior to publication. Historians have a right to expect of one
another a standard of workmanship that deprives plagiarism of its
usual extenuations.

The second line of defense against plagiarism is organized and
punitive. Every institution that includes or represents a body of
scholars has an obligation to establish procedures designed to
clarify and uphold their ethical standards. Every institution that
employs historians bears an especially critical responsibility to
maintain the integrity and reputation of its staff. This applies to
government agencies, corporations, publishing firms, and public
service organizations like museums and archives, as surely it does to
educational facilities. Usually, it is the employing institution that
is expected to investigate charges of plagiarism (or related
offenses) promptly and impartially and to invoke appropriate
sanctions when the charges are sustained.

Many learned professions are just beginning to think seriously about
the need for general policies on fraudulent research and writing.
Usually, employing institutions tend to respond to each case in an ad
hoc manner, with responses ranging from extreme indulgence to
uncompromising severity. Students are often dealt with more harshly
than colleagues. One university recently revoked a Ph.D. awarded
seven years earlier on discovering that the dissertation author had
plagiarized a research paper written by another scholar. In another
recent instance, however, a student found to have misused the work of
others was merely required by his doctoral committee to rewrite the
offending passages. In one case a full professor was forced to resign
for closely paraphrasing or copying passages from other historians
without proper acknowledgment. But there is also a strong tendency to
hush up lurid charges, and to rest content with a quiet, equivocal
apology because of sympathy for a popular colleague assailed by a
remote and seemingly meanspirited rival.

It is right that penalties for scholarly misconduct should vary
according to the seriousness of the offense. A persistent pattern of
deception justifies termination of an academic career; some scattered
misappropriations may warrant only a public disclosure. What is
troubling is not the variation in responses but rather the reluctance
of many scholars to speak out about the possible offenses that come
to their notice. No one advocates hasty or ill-founded accusations,
and the protections of due process should always apply. If, however,
charges of plagiarism or gross impropriety are sustained by an
investigating committee, its findings should ordinarily be made
public. When appraising manuscripts for publication, reviewing books,
or evaluating peers for placement, promotion, and tenure, the
trustworthiness of the historian should never be overlooked. After
all, scholarship flourishes in an atmosphere of openness and candor,
which should, in our opinion, include the scrutiny and discussion of
academic deception.

John Womack