Sender:
From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:30:26 -0500
Medema, Steven wrote:
>  (Why? I am tracing the diffusion of the Coase
> theorem in the textbook literature, and I want
> to get at not only how the various books
> treated­or did not treat­the theorem, but how
> it was treated in the most popular books and
> thus was presented, in writing at least, to the largest body of students.)

Steven, I wonder if the Coase theorem ever did
get diffused. Perhaps it would be more accurate
to say that it was CONfused. The treatment in
McConnell and Brue's principles text, which is
the last book I used, seemed almost ridiculous
compared with the message that I believe Coase
really wanted to send. To receive the true
THEORETICAL message, it seems to me that a
student must first learn about entrepreneurs. She
must learn how entrepreneurs function (a) to
eliminate differences between prices and
opportunity costs and (b) to invent new economic
relationships to deal with new externality
situations. To receive the DOCTRINAL message, a
student must at least know, if not be
indoctrinated into, Pigouvian public policy
analysis. Remember it took a couple of intense
Coase-to-person sessions for Coase to teach this
message to the highly motivated and best U. of
Chicago professors. It might be wrong to think
that mediocre economists who write textbooks
could help a set of mediocre teachers teach such
a theorem to, I hesitate to say it, mediocre students.

The essence of the Coase Theorem, as I understand
it, is the relationship he identified between
between private property rights and
entrepreneurship. This is a subject -- or, more
correctly, a combination of subjects -- that do
not fit well into textbooks and that must be
learned in ways that are quite different from
those practiced in most universities today.

The problem here may be one of mislabeling, like
your posting. Perhaps the Coase theorem should be
labeled the Coase paradigm. Or perhaps the Coase
theorem should be subsumed under broader subjects
such as the theory of property rights and early neoclassical economics.

Which, by the way, takes us partly back to Knight
and what economists did not learn from him (but
later had to learn from Coase). As you know,
Knight had a substantial influence on Coase and
he also had written some things about property
that sound very "Coasean." It did not take long
for Knight to be forgotten by the non-HOTers.
Perhaps if someone had had the foresight to
promote a KNIGHT THEOREM,  fashionable textbook
writers would have been compelled to write about
it and he would have been remembered. Even by the Italians.

Pat Gunning