From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:

Forwarded from Philos-l by Ross B. Emmett

Introducing a new quarterly journal:

SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING ETHICS

Editors:
Stephanie J. Bird, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
Raymond E. Spier, University of Surrey, UK

Published quarterly by Opragen Publications, PO Box 54,
Guildford, GU1 2YF, UK

Science and Engineering Ethics is a multi-disciplinary quarterly journal
launched in January 1995 which is dedicated to exploring ethical issues of
direct concern to scientists and engineers covering professional education,
research and practice as well as the effects of innovations on the wider
society. An international editorial board has been appointed which
represents a broad range of expertise. The journal will publish original
research papers, reviews, comment pieces, letters, editorials, book reviews
and conference reports. It will also publish special issues devoted to
single topics of importance; these include Trustworthy Research (in 1995),
Computer Ethics (in 1996) and Peer Review (in 1997).

In this new journal both science and engineering are defined broadly and
include all aspects of human endeavour that seek to increase the range and
quality of our knowledge and the application of this knowledge to the
generation of goods and services that benefit us as individuals and as
members of societies.

Although the focus of this publication is primarily directed towards
practitioners of science and engineering,  contributions from a broad range
of disciplines will be included.  The journal presents an opportunity for
the discussion of ethical values and professional standards as well as
exploring the expectations and concerns of professionals in science. In
addition, Science and  Engineering Ethics will provide material which will
be useful for the education and training of scientists and engineers in the
ethical issues that they will encounter in their workplaces - a matter
receiving increasing attention.

The journal will also provide a forum for the exchange of views on the many
issues that are presented to society by innovations in science and
engineering. These include new products that have arisen from genetic
engineering, informatics, nucleonics, robotics and our abilities to
manipulate the fertilization process. Other concerns emerge from our use of
animals in research, our approach to healthcare, the persuasiveness of the
media, the sustainability of a high quality environment and the way in which
we build and use our towns and cities.

Science and Engineering Ethics welcomes manuscripts from those who wish to
make contributions to progress in this field. Papers containing original
research will be double-blind refereed.

Announcements of meetings and networks relevant to the subject matter are
welcomed and will be published in each issue as a service to readers.
Information should be sent to Opragen Publications at the address below.

Notes for authors, subscription information and review copies of the journal
can be obtained from the publishers, Opragen Publications, P.O. Box 54,
Guildford,
Surrey GU1 2YF,  United Kingdom, Tel/Fax +44 (0)1483 560074.

Manuscripts can be submitted to one of the editors as follows:

Professor Raymond Spier, School of Biological Sciences, University of Surrey,
Guildford GU2 5XH, United Kingdom,       Tel/fax +44 1483 259 265
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

Dr. Stephanie J. Bird, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Rm. 12-187,
77 Massachusetts  Ave.,  Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Tel (617) 253 8024, Fax (617) 253 1986.
|Bruce B. Janz                                                       |
|Assistant Professor of Philosophy                                   |
|Director, CIRLA (Centre for Interdisciplinary                       |
|   Research in the Liberal Arts)                                    |
|Augustana University College                           (403)679-1524|
|4901-46 Avenue                                        1-800-661-8714|
|Camrose, Alberta                                  Fax: (403)679-1129|
|CANADA T4V 2R3                 e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Ross B. Emmett, Augustana University College, Camrose, Alberta
CANADA   T4V 2R3   voice: (403) 679-1517   fax: (403) 679-1129
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  or  [log in to unmask]