From:
Susan Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2015 15:56:14 +0000
Hello, we thought you or your colleagues might be interested in our upcoming workshop…

the University of Toronto’s
Institute for Life Course and Aging is pleased to present
2015-2016 Workshop Series

SEXUALITY AND AGING: STRATEGIES FOR SUPPORTING HEALTHY SEXUALITY

AN ONLINE WORKSHOP FOR HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS & POLICYMAKERS

When: Mon Oct 5th to Sun Nov 1st, 2015 (4 weeks)
ONLINE weekly at your discretion
Cost:  $240 (Seniors/Students $120)

Course Objectives:
• Challenge the commonly held and flawed belief that sex is only for the young
• Gain a better understanding of the physiological changes that affect a person’s sexual health as they age.
• Participants will learn to address the clinical issues that may arise for older adults related to their sexual health
• Participants will increase their comfort level in addressing issues related to the sexual health of their clients, patients or residents.

Week1: Knowledge, attitudes and perspectives regarding sexuality and aging
• Self-reflection
• Media portrayals of middle aged and older adults
• Changing demographics and dating patterns
• Emergent issues in sexual health: Seniors and STI’s

Week 2: The aging body: How our physiology affects our sexuality as we age:
• Women’s issues
• Men’s issues
• Physiological changes associated with aging
• Sexual response cycle changes with aging
• Chronic illness and disability

Week 3: LGBTQ issues for seniors
•  Historical context
•  Issues related to aging as an LGTBQ member
•  Caregiving as a member of the LGTBQ community
•  Challenges of navigating the health care system as a member of the LGTBQ community

Week 4: Sexuality in institutionalized settings:
•  Assessing our beliefs and values
•  Working with families of residents
•  Managing sexualized behaviour
•  Issues of consent and capacity

Natalie Wilton M.S.W., R.S.W. is a registered Social Worker with nearly 15 years’ experience in the field of eldercare. She currently has a private practice where she specializes in working with people who struggling with the issues of aging as well as sees clients of all ages for sex therapy. She has previously worked for the Alzheimer society and currently works within the Waterloo Wellington Specialized Geriatric system and has held positions in senior’s mental health team as well as Behavioural Supports Ontario.

Registration and payment available online at www.aging.utoronto.ca<http://utoronto.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=55b74acdd734995b1aa4807a3&id=f936cb3718&e=60897131b3>

 follow on Twitter<https://www.twitter.com/lifecourseUofT/> | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend<http://us2.forward-to-friend2.com/forward?u=55b74acdd734995b1aa4807a3&id=078d4be792&e=60897131b3>

Copyright © 2015 Institute for Life Course and Aging, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Institute for Life Course and Aging
263 McCaul Street, Suite 328
Toronto, Ontario M5T 1W7
Canada

Institute for Life Course and Aging · 263 McCaul Street, Suite 328 · Toronto, Ontario M5T 1W7 · Canada

[Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp]<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=55b74acdd734995b1aa4807a3&afl=1>