From:
"Marglin, Stephen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:12:58 -0500
James Ahiakpor is of course correct that Mill qualified the bald statement I quoted in my post.  But I believe that it is the bald statement, not the qualifications, which informed the commitment of the economics profession to Say's Law, typified by the Watkins piece I cited further down, published in 1933: on what other basis than Say's Law can one dismiss underconsumption theories as cavalierly (I said contemptuously in my post) as Watkins does?

By the way, Mill, like Viner, appears to view the problem caused by "temporary" deviations from Say's Law summarized in Professor Ahiakpor's second Mill quote as one of unbalanced deflation-which makes sense in terms of the quantity (of money) theory (of the price level).  Right after the quote that ends "the remedy is, not a diminution of supply, but the restoration of confidence," Mill writes
        It is also evident that this temporary derangement of markets is an evil only because it is temporary.  The fall being solely of money prices, if prices did not rise again no  dealer would lose, since the smaller price would be worth as much to him as the larger price was before (Principles of Political Economy, Book III, Ch XIV, ¶4).

With respect to Viner: I agree with Professor Ahiakpor that Viner sees deficit spending as a means of conducting monetary policy. Precisely my point: his framework did not allow him to conceptualize fiscal policy as directly affecting aggregate demand because he did not have a concept of aggregate demand as a distinct element of his theory.  At least Viner did not share Milton Friedman's fallacious belief that fiscal policy can work only if it involves changes in the money supply.  Viner rather sees fiscal policy as changing the velocity of circulation.  Indeed, if you are so inclined, you can describe Keynes as providing a theory of changes in velocity, but this would be like describing Copernicus, Kepler, and Newton as providing a theory of Ptolemaic epicycles.

I'm not sure what the relevance of Professor Ahiakpor's  observation that during the depression "there was a contraction in savings, not the over-saving that Keynes thought was taking place."  In a Keynesian perspective, this is classic "paradox of thrift": the excess of desired saving over desired investment at full employment leads to a contraction in output and income, and thus to a contraction in actual saving-the mechanism that brings desired saving and investment into line with one another.  So, yes, Professor Ahiakpor, there can be over-saving and a contraction in saving,  the second the result of the first.

Steve Marglin

PS Professor Ahiakpor, could you provide me with a reference to the first Mill quote, which you cite as (1874, p 71)?