From:
Ric Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:21:41 -0800
Related a little bit to this discussion. I'm working on a letter from
Galbraith today written on July 4, 1965 with his tongue, as usual, in
his cheek:

"Messrs Lurio and Jones have respectively, a public persecution and a
Federal debt complex. Not much can be done about either. Mr. Lurio's
right to worry about bureaucrats rather than depression, unemployment
and bankruptcy is sanctified by tradition and secured by the First
Amendment. On the matter of debt, if some people save, then others
must borrow and invest or savings will not be used and spending and
production will not be sustained. SO DEBT IS ETERNAL. But like almost
everyone else, Mr. Jones chooses to worry about the Federal debt.
Since World War II, this has played only a balancing role in
offsetting savings... The anxiety over the Federal debt is inevitable,
immutable, nearly universal and entirely independent of the evidence."

John Kenneth Galbraith