Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:19:18 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Romain Kroes)
====================== HES POSTING ==================

[NOTE: In response to Paul Wendt's reply of 16 August 1997 -- see
http://www.eh.net/Archives/hes/aug-97/0024.html -- RBE]

I approve Mark Tomass's scruples about translating a "high prices"
meaning. Nowadays readiness to use the word "inflation" is a consequence
of the identification between monetary quantity and prices variations,
which is a neoclassical dogma, unfitted to the modern due to growth rise
in prices. That dogma has been heritated from the times at which the most
spectacular and related general rises in prices were actually caused by
monetary troubles. But classical economists believed in the neutrality of
money, whereas neoclassical ones don't. That's the reason why it's
interesting to know the moment at which the word "inflation" entered the
language of economics. Was it a classical or a neoclassical use ? Was it to
point out empirical facts, or to express a theoretical principle?

As for the etymology, the mechanical origin is possible, as being the
most direct inspiration. But the word is originally a latin medical one
(inflatio), and a rhetorical one, too. It entered a modern language for
the first time when Ambroise Pare intentionally gallicized it in the same
meaning. The english word seems to be a simple borrowing from French. But
there is no doubt that it was firstly used in an economic meaning, in
English. I haven't find it in Irving Fisher's writings, and that could
mean a recent use. But I haven't read the whole Fisher's in English...
Thank you for all information about it.

Romain Kroes