From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (NC))
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ==================

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Robert S. Goldfarb wrote:
.. . .
> I have an article that has been accepted by the Journal of Economic
> Methodology entitled "Now You See It, Now You Don't: Emerging Contrary
> Results in Economics." The article focusses on empirical literatures in
> which an empirical result is first established, but later on conflicting
> evidence seems to emerge.

Yes, a dialectic process that is a suitable object of historical and other
study.  I daresay that is the nature of argument in general, not only of
empirical literatures; in other words, the "empirical literatures" of
economics that Robert studies are arguments.

For another class of examples:
In the USAmerican legal system (at least), an indictment "establishes"
something --rather firmly, for many people who read about it in the
newspaper.  Later on, conflicting evidence emerges.  In significant part,
the indictment on the one hand *causes* the conflicting evidence to emerge
on the other hand.

Back to empirical economics:
Suppose it is easy for the first quant-empirical "result" on some issue to
become "established"; the q-e group of economists, at least, forms first
impressions easily.  So *confirming* evidence is uninteresting to
reviewers and editors; they judge it unworthy of publication.  But it is
hard for a later and contrary result to become established; first
impressions hang on tenaciously.  So *overturning* evidence is interesting
to reviewers and editors; it gets published; indeed, because that first
result is tenacious, overturning evidence gets published again and again.

----Paul

Paul Wendt, Watertown MA
asst.editor, HES e-information services (history of economics)