From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:

Announcing plans for a Guide to the History of Economics

Over the next several months we as editors will arrange for the
preparation of a Guide to the History of Economics to be published
by Blackwell's and intended not simply for our fellow historians but,
in the first place, for mainstream practitioners of the economics
discipline. In constructing the Guide we will not hold to the
conventional temporal sequence, focus on great personages, or attend
to schools of economic thought.  Rather we will identify a range of
questions that are today exercising the contemporary mainstream
discipline and subdisciplines and attempt to demonstrate that an
historical treatment of these questions  may be illuminating to all
concerned.  If we are successful the Guide should be useful in
classes and research programs across the discipline.

We hope in this way to construct a bridge between the history of
economics and the larger economics profession in which it is
embedded.  We expect also to identify a range of exciting research
topics of present day relevance on which historians of economics may
engage themselves in this project or elsewhere.

We invite our colleagues to consider joining us in this endeavor.  If
you are interested please contact us by email or other means with
suggestions and comments.  We would like to remain in close and
continuing contact with contributors to the Guide and to bring them
together here at Duke and at various professional meetings that will
take place over the next couple of years.

Neil B. DeMarchi

Craufurd D. W. Goodwin

E. Roy Weintraub