From:
Mohammad Gani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 08:38:50 -0400
"What does "instinctively" mean? I thought instinct theory was a
dead  issue, the word "instinct" simply being used to express a lack
of causal understanding." -Samuel Bostaph

Instinctively means without conscious deliberation. My point is that
if people act consciously, being aware of the consequences or
pursuing certain consequences, then such action is not spontaneous.
If going the wrong way in violation of traffic designs had no
penalties and yet if people all followed traffic rules, it would be
spontaneous order. But the presence of traffic courts and traffic
police tell me that it is not spontaneous.  That most people
willingly obey traffic rules only means that the rules have been made
with much deliberation to create advantages for them.

I think it is a rhetorical problem of using careless words just
because our ancestors had used them. What is the point of believing
in spontaneous order? Suppose that I do not believe in spontaneous
order, what will I miss? In contrast, those who believe in
spontaneous order miss almost all of history: a minimum of ten
thousand years of relentless struggle against plunder to establish
rules of commercial conduct in the market. To condone slavery or the
suppression of women in all agrarian societies simply as spontaneous
order is unpardonable.

Good things are designed, bad things are spontaneous.

Mohammad Gani