From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (SAR))
Date:
==================== HES POSTING ====================

 [Please forward where there may be interest in the abstract.  Call it

        Will Export of Machinery Make Victorian Britain Rich?
  or
        Elmslie, "Convergence and Growth in the Classical Period"

  or other descriptive subjectline, and delete any part of this header,
  if that seems appropriate (eg, where Kress is unknown). --PW]

------------------------
KRESS SEMINAR, 15 May 97
------------------------
Our last meeting this Spring will be next Thursday evening, 15 May,
7:40-10 pm, in Littauer M16 on the Harvard campus.  We feature an early
Victorian debate, in and out of Parliament:

    Bruce Elmslie (U New Hampshire)
        Theories of Convergence and Growth in the Classical Period:
        The Role of Science, Technology and Trade

    Co-author: Antoinette James Curtis (Randolph-Macon C)

    Discussant: Paul Harrison (Brandeis U)

    Paper available from the author: Economics/ UNH/ Durham NH 03824

BRUCE ELMSLIE (UNH) teaches that dinosaur, a survey course in the History
of Economic Thought that is required for graduate students.  He researches
the Theory of International Trade and its History --especially the dynamic
aspects, trade in relation to growth and development.

After describing 18c intellectual origins of "concern over convergence"
(Hume, Tucker, Smith), the authors focus on the policy debate regarding
free trade in machinery in "the Classical Period" (Torrens, Babbage,
newspapers, Parliament).  Some crucial concepts of the actors are
international economic convergence as "parasitism" or "contagion", thus
leveling down or leveling up; and scientific and technological innovation
as naturally limited or limitless.

PAUL HARRISON researches Stock Markets, the Theory of Finance, and their
History --from tulips in 17c Amsterdam to business schools in the 1990s.

Dinner
    Anyone interested in dinner and conversation before the seminar is
    invited to gather at the Singha House Thai restaurant (1105 Mass. Ave)
    at 6:00.  The food is great, matched only by the company.  The Singha
    House is prepared to handle late additions to a party (to about 6:30
    for dinner or 7:00 for appetizer or drink, given our time constraint).

I hope to see you Thursday,

                                P/\/\/\/\/t  [imagine my signature]

----
    Paul Wendt, Watertown MA
    Director, Kress Seminar in the History of Economic Thought
    Asst.Editor, History of Economics Society e-infor,atopm services