From:
Steven Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:34:21 -0400
Mohammad Gani wrote:
>I never understood how deliberate action leads to spontaneous order.
>To act spontaneously is to act instinctively without conscious
>pursuit of goals. When people deliberately choose to follow traffic
>rules, there is order, but how is it spontaneous?
>
>Institutions impose rules of conduct, and people may deliberately
>abide by those rules to avoid collisions. I do not understand why
>this would be seen as spontaneous order.

The term "spontaneous order" is unfortunate for just this reason.  I
prefer "undesigned" or "unplanned" order.  The point is that
individual actors (including households or firms) can all be making
very conscious, deliberate, planned decisions, but the pattern of
outcomes that emerges as those decisions interact with each other and
the rules that structure such interaction is itself the product of no
one's intention or design.
The "spontaneous" in spontaneous social orders refers not to the
actions out of which the order emerges, but to the undesigned nature
of the emergent order itself.

One can get a pattern of outcomes that was not deliberately chosen
even if each of the elements whose behavior constitute that pattern
are engaged in deliberate choice.

I think because Polanyi was first a physical scientist and saw the
notion of spontaneous order in examples from that world, the problem,
or at least the ambiguity, of using the word "spontaneous" was
probably not as apparent to him.  For the purposes of social
analysis, it would be clearer if we had a different term.

Steve Horwitz