AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Jane Boyko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Boyko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:42:26 -0500
FYI.

Hello CHOO/COPO Members, see below for an important message from the
Ontario Museums Association. This warning is relevant to all heritage
groups responsible for collections - not just to museums.

Meg Hamilton, /Executive Director /

Council of Heritage Organizations in Ottawa/
Conseil des organismes du patrimoine d'Ottawa
(613) 562-0405
www.choocopo.ca <http://www.choocopo.ca/>

WARNING NOTICE : To all OMA members and museums across Ontario: The OMA
has been made aware that Sun Media Corporation and its affiliated
companies, representatives, agents, etc...is currently circulating to
museums a FREELANCER AGREEMENT determined to establish copyright and
parameters of use for "Content" provided by museums to their local
newspapers for publication, either photographs of photos of artifacts,
etc...

THE OMA RECOMMENDS AND ADVISES MEMBERS NOT TO SIGN THIS AGREEMENT -

As it stands this agreement would allow unlimited and worldwide use by
these newspapers with no consideration of compensation (payment) or
would waive any right of the copyright owner , you the museum, to have
input into the use, frequency of use, etc....of the documents. See
especially Clause 5.

These are now circulating in various communities across Ontario and are
being presented as a simple document for local and/or regional use to
facilitate the relationship with the local paper. Unfortunately, the
matter is more substantive and warrants more action and judicious
research on our part.

THE OMA will contact Sun Media Corp. directly as well as seek outside
independent cousel on this issue. Please stay tuned and hold off on
signing - unless you have had independent and informed legal counsel on
this agreement.

We will let you know as to results of our inquiries. In the interim, we
suggest you proceed on a case by case basis with your usual copyright
clearances/one time only use included in your agreement.

Marie G. Lalonde

Executive Director