From:
[log in to unmask] (Terri Foxman)
Date:

I am doing research for a four-part documentary series on the history of
money. The series will be a co-production between PBS and the National
Filmboard of Canada (NFB).

Our series will deal specifically with the social/human effect of the
invention of money -- how it changed history and people's thinking.
Although the subjects are related, we are not making a film about
finance, economic theory, the stock market, investment etc except as
those subjects directly relate to the changing form and role of money.
Neither are we approaching it from a numismatic point of view, although
the various forms that money took will naturally be of interest.

We are looking for experts (including economists, historians, and
sociologists) who are dynamic, good talkers who can make the subject
come alive. We are interested in people who are able to explain things
simply and communicate the common wisdom of the topic to the typical
viewer rather than to fellow scholars/experts.

Would you please refer me to anyone in North America or the United
Kingdom who has a lot of expertise in any or several of the following
and can express themselves effectively for a mass audience?:

* Ancient history: world before money/barter, advanced civilizations
like the Egyptians and Incas who didn't have money. Lydia, the Greeks
and the invention of money, its consequences.

* The Roman story, its use of money, the debasing of its coinage.
Medieval feudalism, money in eclipse.

* China its early use of paper money.

* Renaissance: Italy then Holland the growing role of banking.

* Money as a liberating, democratizing force, for example, the
transition from feudalism to early forms of capitalism. Money breaking
class barriers -- move from a hierarchical world in which everyone knew
their place to one where if someone made money, they could rise in
social status. Perhaps we're reaching limitations thereof.

* The history of capitalism

* Change in religious teaching about money, particularly usury. The
movement from Catholicism (money is bad) to Puritanism (making money is
good). Delinking of money from morality. Modern day Islam's relationship
with usury.

* European invention of paper money: first in France (John Law) then
Bank of England.

* Connection between money and banking.

* American experience with paper money, before during and after
Revolution.

*  Bi-metalism -- Gold/Silver controversy in America in the late 19th
century. (J.P Morgan vs William Jennings Bryan).

* the history of gold

* Very, very gradual movement from paper money based on metal to fiat
money.

* Inflation vs deflation.

* Hyperinflation: (Germany in 23, South America) reasons for, effects
of.

* the role of money before and after the collapse of communism in Russia

* Modern cashless forms of money, credit cards, cybercash

* Modern global world where capital flows instantly in and out of
countries.  We're interested in voices both for and against this.

Thank you for your suggestions. You may e-mail them directly to me with
any contact info at [log in to unmask]

Terri Foxman
Film researcher
514-288-0369