AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Sharon Larade <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:47:02 -0500
Caring for our Past, Caring for our Future

On 1 November 2007, Archbishop Fred Hiltz, Primate of the Anglican
Church of Canada, recognized the 80th Anniversary
of the establishment of the General Synod Archives " with gratitude for
outstanding service to church and community."

Archbishop Hiltz commented " the church gives thanks for 80 years of
service provided by the Archives.  I view your work as just that – a
service, a ministry, a vocation.  You have been called and commissioned
to be a keeper of our story..."

"The Canon mandates the General Synod Archives to work with archivists
in the ecclesiastical provinces, the dioceses and related agencies
including religious orders, theological colleges and ecumenical
coalitions.  To that end the Archivist works in co-operation with a
network of archivists across the country – resourcing them with the
skills necessary to carry out their work with competence, establishing
and maintaining archival standards and giving attention to matters of
common concern.... such as the impact of the Residential Schools
Settlement Agreement and the establishing of a Truth and Reconciliation
Commission, and the impact of federal and provincial privacy
legislation....."

"For your care of these precious assets – in our General Synod,
Provincial and Diocesan Archives, I thank you on behalf of the Anglican
Church of Canada.  My prayer is that you will always find your work to
be challenging and rewarding and my hope is that your work will always
be acknowledged with respect and gratitude by the Church and by society
at large..."

"The Canon speaks of records pertaining to the history and activities of
the Anglican Church of Canada.  To that end the Archives serves the
church in times of celebration, crisis and transition.  ..."

The certificate was presented on the occasion of a national gathering of
provincial and diocesan archivists meeting in Toronto, Ontario. General
Synod Archivist Nancy Hurn, Assistant Archivist Laurel Parson, Diocesan
Archivists across the Church, and many others volunteer their time and
expertise in this very important work.