AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Iona McCraith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Iona McCraith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:43:13 -0400
This message below was posted on Arcan-L and I thought I would share it
here.  It is well written and offers an actual suggestion for a solution to
NADP cuts.

Iona McCraith
Email: [log in to unmask]
Message: 2
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 12:16:03 -0700
From: Myron Groover <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Luciana Duranti <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [Arcan-l] Letter from Archival Educators RE: Heritage Cuts

Luciana Duranti asked me to pass on this letter from Canada's archival
educators to the Hon. James Moore. I've tried to attach it, but the quality
of the image isn't great so I've transcribed it below.

It's absolutely fantastic and I'd like to thank all signatories for their
courage and clear their voices on this.

-M

Honourable Minister James Moore
Canadian Heritage
12th Floor, 15 Eddy Street
Gatineau, QC K1A 0M5

Dear Mr. Moore:

*RE: Recent cut of the funding for the Canadian Council of Archives*

We, archival educators of English speaking Canadian universities, are
writing to express our concern over the disappearance of the infrastructure
supporting the Canadian archival system, due to the decision of Library and
Archives Canada (LAC) to cut the funding to the Canadian Council of
Archives in order to be able to fulfill its core mandate after the budget
cuts to LAC. For more than a quarter of a century, with very limited funds,
the Canadian Council of Archives has ensured the preservation of and access
to the documentary heritage held by institutions and organizations across
Canada, due to the careful and responsible administration of federal monies
by dedicated and committed professionals. No other organization or
initiative can fulfill this role, one that is vital to the development and
preservation of a Canadian identity while serving the Federal Government
purposes of celebrating Canadian achievements and strengthening the country
as a nation.

We recognise that these economic times require difficult choices. It is
essential though that such choices aim to preserve the Canadian archival
system while supporting the LAC core mandate of preserving and providing
access to the records of the federal government. We therefore propose that
the budget assigned to LAC be divided into two parts, one ensuring the
fulfillment of LAC core mandate and the other supporting the infrastructure
necessary to the continuing existence of the Canadian archival system. The
latter part would be best administered as a separate program within
Canadian Heritage. The funds provided to Canadian archives through the
Canadian Council of Archives would also support other important initiatives
the government has already identified, such as the commemoration of the end
of World War II and the 150th anniversary of the founding of Canada.

As educators and researchers, we urge the government to ensure the future
of our past by supporting the identification, acquisition, and description
of the Canadian documentary heritage so that it will be accessible both
locally and globally.

Sincerely,

Greg Bak, University of Manitoba
Terry Cook, University of Manitoba
Wendy Duff, University of Toronto
Luciana Duranti, University of British Columbia
Fiorella Foscarini, University of Toronto
Victoria Lemieux, University of British Columbia
Heather MacNeil, University of Toronto
Giovanni Michetti, University of British Columbia
Thomas Nesmith, University of Manitoba
Eun Park, McGill University

Dated at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, B.C. on this day
16 June 2012. L.D.