From:
James Ahiakpor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:18:39 -0700
The article celebrates Joan Robinson all right.  What the author fails
to do is to examine carefully Robinson's claims to have undermined
Alfred Marshall's alleged application of prefect competition to the
labor market with her "The Economics of Imperfect Competition."  Joan
must not have been much familiar with Marshall's /Principles/ (1920),
especially where he discusses competition in the labor market. Marshall
notes, "It may be well to insist again that we do not assume that
competition is perfect.  Perfect competition requires a perfect
knowledge of the state of the market; ... it would be an altogether
unreasonable assumption to make when we are examining the causes that
govern the supply of labour in any of the lower grades of industry.  For
if a man had sufficient ability to know everything about the market for
his labour, he would have too much to remain long in a low grade" (pp.
448-49).

Perhaps it also may be expecting too much of Joan to have been very
familiar with Adam Smith's description of what happens in the labor
market: "What are the common wages of labour, depends every where upon
the contract usually made between [employers and employees], whose
interests are by no means the same.  The workmen desire to get as much,
the masters to give as little as possible. The former are disposed to
combine in order to raise, the latter in order to lower the wages of
labour" (/WN/, 1: 74).  Joan's description of the labor market is little
different from what Smith says.

Also, it's strange that Joan, who sets aside the classical quantity
theory of money's explanation of inflation and rather blames inflation
on rising money wages gets cast as arguing on labor's behalf.  She
claims, "The essence of inflation is a rapid and continuous rise of
money wages. Without rising money wages, inflation cannot occur, and
whatever starts a violent rise in money wages starts inflation" (1938,
pp. 510-11).  Where in the world does what she claims resemble reality?

I think historians of economic thought have a lot more work to do in
correcting misrepresentations of sound economic analysis of the kind in
the works of Joan Robinson.  Quite a pity the author of the article,
Zachary Carter, fails to do any of that.

James Ahiakpor

--
James C.W. Ahiakpor, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus