Date:
Michael Ambrosi is absolutely right about Leontief.  I did not mean to give
the impression (if i did) that Leontief *obtained his degree* at Kiel.  He
was there in 1927-28, during time which he was writing (and finishing) his
Berlin diss.  Bortkiewicz was his supervisor, btw.

The story has recently been relayed to me that Sombart called up Lowe and
told him he had a "young genius" and asked him if he was "interested."
Lowe replied: "yes I am interested in young geniuses."  Leontief expressed
fond memories of his time at Kiel in a personal note on the occassion of
Lowe's 100th birthday (1993).

On the relationship between Leontief's work and that of the Kiel School
(especially Alfred Kaehler's 1933 work _Die Theorie der Arbeiterfreisetzung
durch die Maschine_) see the articles by Hagemann cited in my last post,
especially "The Structural Theory of Economic Growth", pp. 148-52,
including especially notes 6 and 12.  See also:

Lowe, Adolph (1952): "A Structural Model of Production", _Social Research_,
19, reprinted in _Essays in Political Economics_ (A. Oakley ed.), NYU
Press, 1987, especially Section II and note 4.

Mettelsiefen, B. (1983): "_Der Beitrag der "Kieler Schule" zur
Freisetzungs- und Kompensationtheorie_", in H. Hagemann and P.
Kalmbach(eds.): _Technischer Fortschritt und Arbeitslosigkeit_, Frankfurt:
Campus.

Mathew Forstater      Department of Economics
        Gettysburg College     Gettysburg, PA  17325

tel: (717) 337-6668   fax: (717) 337-6251   e-mail: [log in to unmask]