From:
[log in to unmask] (Jonathan E Mote)
Date:
=================== HES POSTING ======================

What is common sense?  Flavio distinguishes between two different
concepts: 1) common sense methodology, and 2) common sense reality.  He
urges that both need to be instituted within the discipline in order to
make economics a more reliable discipline.

While I am in wholehearted agreement with Flavio about common sense
methodological standards, his call for establishing common sense reality
as a foundational element for economics is misguided.  In fact, the main
criticism I have of "common sense reality" is the same one that Patrick
Baert has applied to the use of critical realism in economics (a
perspective which Flavio obviously draws on, but does not explicitly
aknowledge).  Essentially, Flavio wants to discard the positivist notion
of reality that pervades economics and erect another pseudo-positivist
alternative in its place.  Postivism and "common sense" both share a
concept of knowledge acqusition as reflecting or picturing a
"world-out-there."  As such, it does not acknowledge the role of dialogue
and social mediation in the construction of economic theories.

For example, in talking about the differences between a number of
heterodox perspectives, Flavio says that "the common ground in
these alternative approaches is their underlying concept of reality."
However, the reason there are differences betweeen these schools is
because of their different conceptions of reality.  What is common among
these schools is how they construct reality and, in turn, knowledge,
that is, through narrative and rhetoric.  The problem is not that their
are differences in our perspectives, but that we create these realities
as discursive cudgels with which to beat the hell out of one another
(best illustrated in my most-hated phrase "history shows...").

The advice to adhere to common sense in our methodology is wise and much
needed.  But the admonition to to adhere to a common sense "reality" is
nothing more than a theoretical sleight of hand, exchanging one
positivism for another.

Jonathon Mote
University of Pennsylvania

REFERENCE

Baert, Patrick, 1996, "Realist Philosophy of the social sciences and
economics: a critique," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Volume 20, pgs.
513-522.