Date:
==================== HES POSTING ===================

In a message dated 97-11-10 11:53:52 EST, Jonathon wrote:

<<  Postivism and "common sense" both share a
 concept of knowledge acqusition as reflecting or picturing a
 "world-out-there."  As such, it does not acknowledge the role of dialogue
 and social mediation in the construction of economic theories.  >>

There is no incompatibility between talk of advances
in understanding of something other than our own selves and
seeing that advance of understanding as taking place within a
social context that includes advances in shared linguistic practice.
To hold otherwise is a product of positivism, and flies in the face
of everday understanding -- and indeed logic.  A non-philosophical
sense of our background understanding -- i.e. a non-positivistic
'common sense' -- would reject Jonathon's distinction.  I would argue
that such a rejection is exactly what you find in the later work of
Ludwig Wittgenstein.

Greg Ransom
Dept. of Social Science
Mira Costa College