Date:
==================== HES POSTING ====================

I have 2 questions concerning the following two extracts.  I have not
been able to locate a copy of Mallet's book.  Can anyone verify this
extract?

In the Ricardo reference below, Charles Sellars cannot remember the
source.  Any suggestions?

Mallet, J. L. 1921. Political Economy Club
 67-8: In 1876, the Political Economy Club held a centenary celebration
of "the Foundation of Economic Science."  Chairing this meeting was Mr.
Gladstone, with Mr. Lowe on one side and the French Minister of Finance
Mr. Leon Say on the other.  Mr. Lowe gave the first presentation. The
message in his speech was that he did not feel that the future of
political economy would have that much to offer: "at present, so far as
my own humble opinion goes, I am not sanguine as to any very large or
any very startling development in political economy."  "The
controversies which we now have in political economy, although they
offer a capital exercise for the local faculties, are not of the same
thrilling importance as those of earlier days; the great work has been
done."

Sellers, Charles. 1991. The Market Revolution: Jacksonian America,
1815-1846 (NY: Oxford University Press).
: A Philadelphian explained to David Ricardo the tacit
conspiracy not to demand specie, "The whole of our population are
either stockholders of banks or in debt to them."  "It is not in
the interest of the first to press the banks and the rest are
afraid."  Anyone who demanded specie "would have been persecuted
as an enemy of society."

Michael Perelman
E-Mail [log in to unmask]