From:
[log in to unmask] (Humberto Barreto)
Date:

The term "entrepreneur" has a fascinating etymology and has been used
in a variety of ways throughout the history of economic thought.

Adam Smith used "adventurer," "undertaker," and "projector" because
entrepreneur wasn't an English word in his time.

As for the way the term has been used, the entrepreneur has played
vital roles in the work of Cantillon, Say, Knight, Schumpeter, and
Kirzner, among others.

A while ago I was extremely interested in this topic and I wrote a book
titled, The Entrepreneur in Microeconomic Theory: Disappearance and
Explanation.  I tried to present alternative uses for the entrepreneur
in the history of economics and make the case that modern, neoclassical
economic theory doesn't need an entrepreneur because of its emphasis on
static resource allocation problems.   Of course, there are many other
sources, including, for example, Mark Casson's The Entrepreneur.

It's a fun and interesting word that leads in many different
directions.

Humberto Barreto
Wabash College