Date:
We could go on playing tit for tat with textbook neoclassical versus
textbook keynesian economics.  I would be happy to reply to all of your
(James') responses in the last go round, if you'd like.  But just as I
could have written your latest responses to my comments, you can probably
anticipate more or less what the textbook keynesian response to your latest
go round would be.  In fact, it might be a more interesting exercise in
some ways if we'd exchange places, and each try to give the best possible
arguments from the *other* side for a round or two, and then compare the
other's argument to what we'd have said ourselves!

This is not to belittle the real life implications of policies based on
different theoretical approaches, the seriousness which has been expressed
in the posts by Mary Schweitzer.  Rather, just when I was wondering why we
hadn't changed the name of this thread to something else, it hit me that
the issue of "proof" is still lurking in the background, though not perhaps
in the way it was originally put forward.

How do we choose between paradigms? Who is 'right'?  In many ways, at the
level of abstraction and simplicity we were conducting our discussion in,
it reminded me of the 'reversible' drawings which can be viewed in at least
two different ways, such as the famous one that can be either a bird or an
antelope, or the drawing of the three dimensional cube that can be 'seen'
from either above or below (see, e.g., the fascinating discussion in
Norwood Hanson's classic _Patterns of Discovery_).  This leads to issues of
context-dependence of meaning and theory-ladeness of observation.

This is not to say that I don't believe that one view is more 'correct' or
'true'.  I believe that in the case of our discussion, the keynesian
argument is relatively more accurate than the neoclassical (and I am not an
uncritical admirer of keynes, btw), and I could harness an argument that
included reference to empirical data, historical facts, logical consistency
(and inconsistency), appeals to common-sense, methodological issues, etc.,
etc., to support my view, and would passionately do so in the case of a
debate about policy in which I deeply believed the course taken would have
real impact on our socio-economic and political order.  And I am sure that
James or someone else could do the same in support of the neoclassical (or
some other) view.

But why do we 'believe' one (somewhat reasonable) view over another?  I
think we cannot escape bringing in the role of something like Schumpeter's
'vision', or Heilbroner's modification of that notion, or the notion of
ideology.  Not ideology in the sense of intentional manipulation of facts
and so on (though that exists of course) but rather in the sense of deeply
held feelings, intuitions, beliefs about 'how things are', 'the way things
work', 'human nature', and so on.

But then who 'wins'?  Is it, as McCloskey argues, who tells the best story?
 Or perhaps it is the paradigm that suits the interests of the most
powerful.  Or...?

Mathew Forstater      Department of Economics
        Gettysburg College     Gettysburg, PA  17325

tel: (717) 337-6668   fax: (717) 337-6251   e-mail: [log in to unmask]