From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:

On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Brad De Long wrote:

> Re:
>
> >the continued taint of Enlightenment thought, primarily an
> >epistemological foundation that guarantees certainty and a
> >transparent theory of language.
>
> _What_ Enlightenment epistemological foundation guarantees certainty?
_Who_
> in the set of Enlightenment thinkers ever thought that language is
> "transparent"?
For starters, the British empiricists thought that all our knowledge
received its warrant in virtue of its reference to self-interpreting
sense-data. Modern neoclassical economics continues this tradition with
its naivete about the "data" that sort out true from false theories and
its pre-Kuhnian belief that the data are "theory-independent". Of course
practice differs from official methodology in this respect, but one need
only consult the opening, methodological chapters of any standard
economics text to see the empiricist version of the Enlightenment "quest
for certainty" epitomized. (Dewey's *Quest for Certainty* is brilliant on
the sense in which both rationalism and empiricism, in other ways so
different, were both variations on the "quest" theme.)

As for language, Enlightenment thinkers did not see transparency, but
opacity. They saw the task of correcting this opacity as paramount, a
correction that would allow language to serve as what it essentially is,
to wit, an instrument of communication. The romantic response to
Enlightenment, on the other hand, emphasized the constitutive,
non-instrumental dimension of language. The appeal of mathematics in
modern economics as a transparent conveyor of pure thought reflects the
Enlightenment legacy.

> >Hell, we could easily say Kant had it figured out and go home and have a
beer.

> I would prefer to say that Hume had the irresolvable dilemmas classified,
> and go estimate the changing size of automatic stabilizers, and the
current
> level of the non-accelerating-inflation-rate-of-unemployment...

Hume was a complex thinker. Among other things, he was perhaps the most
eloquent defender of a purely instrumental notion of rationality: "Reason
is and ought to be the slave of the passions." The notion that reason can
have nothing to say about our ends, but only about the best means to the
pursuit of pre-given and a-rational ends, is foundational for neoclassical
economics in obvious ways.

To see how different economics might be if it were to become
self-conscious about its modernist (to use McCloskey's term) legacy and
appreciative of the non-instrumental dimensions of both language and
rationality, I strongly recommend Elizabeth Anderson's *Value in Ethics
and Economics*.

Kevin