From:
[log in to unmask] (Roger Backhouse - Exchange server)
Date:
Second Call for papers for a Conference on the
History of Macroeconomics to beheld in Louvain-la-neuve (20-21-22 January,
2005)

PLEASE NOTE THE IMMINENT DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS. For practical reasons we
have had to bring this forward about a week from our original deadline.

Over the past decade or so there has been growing interest in the history
of macroeconomics. Eminent macroeconomists (Blanchard, Woodford) have
reflected on the history of their field. Books include Young’s book on
IS-LM; Laidler on pre-Keynesian macroeconomics; and Mehrling on
Young,Hansen and Shaw. There have been conferences on Patinkin and
IS-LM.However, these efforts have been piecemeal, with many people working
in isolation from others interested in the field. We believe that it is
time to organise a broader conference on the history of macroeconomics that
will draw together economists and historians of economics who are working
on the subject. Our hope is that this will encourage more systematic
inquiries into the subject and open up new ways of thinking about it. It
may make it possible to address broader questions such as the identity of
macroeconomics as a field in relation
to economics as a whole as well as a better understanding of its origins
and the relevance of this for understanding contemporary developments.

Our aim is to keep the conference fairly small (around 30 people) to
optimise interactions and discussion, though this may have to be adjusted
in view of the response we get. Proposals for papers can cover any aspect
of the history of macroeconomics. Areas that might be
discussed include the following:

– Business cycle and monetary theory in the inter-war period and their
relations to post-war developments
– The first generation of Keynesian economists: Hicks,
Samuelson,Modigliani, Hansen, Lange
–  From the monetarist Counter-revolution to the Keynesian/monetarist
synthesis
– The neoclassical synthesis and the new classical macroeconomics
– The rise and decline of Keynesian macroeconometric models
– The interaction of economic theory and econometric techniques
– Revisiting disequilibrium theory
– From IS-LM to real business cycle models
– Macroeconomics in textbooks

Practical details:

– The conference will take place at Louvain-la-neuve, home of the
Université catholique de Louvain (Belgium), on January 20, 21, 22,2005.
The conference has very limited financial support, which means that
contributors are likely to have to cover their own expenses.
– Proposals for papers (five hundred words) should be sent as email
attachments to the three conference organizers, Roger Backhouse,Pascal
Bridel and Michel De Vroey, by SATURDAY 21 FEBRUARY 2004, to the addresses
below. If possible Papers will be selected by April 1, 2004.
All papers for the conference will be circulated to conference participants
in advance,and thus must be completed no later than December 1, 2004.

– For further information, please contact:

Professor Roger  Backhouse, Department of  Economics, University of
Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, United
Kingdom([log in to unmask])
Professor Pascal Bridel, Centre Walras-Pareto, University of
Lausanne,1015 Lausanne-Dorigny, Switzerland([log in to unmask])
Professor Michel De Vroey, Economics Department, Université catholiquede
Louvain, 3 Place Montesquieu, 1348 Louvain-la-neuve,
Belgium([log in to unmask])