From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ====================

[NOTE: Posted on behalf of Aiko Ikeo <[log in to unmask]>. -- RBE]

February 2, 1997

Dear Justin Richards:

I have some references in Japanese economic thought which might interest
you.

-SUGIYAMA, Chuhei (1994). _Origins of Economic Thought in Modern
Japan_. London and New York: Routledge.
        My review appeared in _European Journal of the History
        of Economic Thought_ Fall 1996.

-Tan YE, 'An Analysis of the Historical Study of Chinese Economic
Thought in the 1920s and 1930s'. In Aiko Ikeo ed. _Economic
Development in Twentieth Century East Asia: International Context_,
London and New York: Routledge, 1997.  It was formally published in
December 1996.
        Tan discusses the historical studies of Chinese economic
        thought which were conducted by both Chinese and
        Japanese scholars in the 1920s and 1930s.  Her analysis
        will give you a comparative perspective in the history of
        Chinese and Japanese economic thought.

The contents of the book is as follows:
1.  Introduction     Aiko IKEO
Part I: From Traditional Relations in East Asia to Extensive
Exchanges with the West
2.  The Transition of the International System and the Relationship
in East Asia in the First Half of the Twentieth Century  Xinchun YU
3.  Continuity and Discontinuity in East Asia  Shinkichi ET
Part  II: Western Ideas versus Cultural Identity in East Asia
4.  An Analysis of the Historical Study of Chinese Economic Thought
in the 1920s and 1930s
5.  Chinese Business Culture from the 1920s through the 1950s  Xheyi
ZHENG
6.  The "New Education" and Chinese Revolution in the 1920s  Qi LIU
Part III: Ideals, Conflicts, and 'Strategy' in East Asia
7.  Conditions of Economic Development in Korea in the First Half of
the Twentieth Century  Sang-Kyung KWAK and Hun-Chang LEE
8.  Economic Reform Plans in the Japanese Wartime Economy: The Case
of Shintaro Ryu and Kei Shibata  Kiichiro YAGI
9.  'Strategic' Concepts underlying the so-called "Hirota Foreign
Policy", 1933-1937  Kurt W. RADTKE
10.  From Friend to Foe: Pre-WWII Japanese-American Relations within
the Institute of Pacific Relations   Paul F. HOOPER
Part IV: Economic Thought and Reforms in Developing China
11.  The Concept of Equal Distribution of Wealth in Chinese Social
Change since 1919  Jia-zhen ZHU
12.   Does Confucianism Matter? The Role of the Oriental Tradition in
Economic Development of East Asia   Dajin PENG
13.  The Market Economy and Ethnic Relations in China  Xinglian HE

I was a little hesitant to report my related works.  But these have
something to do with your research in Japanese economic thought in
the Tokugawa period.

I will inform you of other references such as those written by Masao
Maruyama and Tetsuo Najita if you did not know them.

All the best,

Aiko Ikeo

Aiko Ikeo
Kokugakuin University, 4-10-28 Higashi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150