From:
[log in to unmask] (Anthony Brewer)
Date:
================== HES POSTING ========================

Charles Clark wrote:

> A colleague of mine is doing work on Compensating differentials and
> she has asked me if, besides Adam Smiths chapter 10 in WN have any other
> economists in the past discussed this issue.Does anyone on this
> network have any suggestions?

Richard Cantillon, Essay on the Nature of Commerce in General
(published 1755, written c1730) part 1, chapter 8:

"The crafts which require the most time in training or most ingenuity
and industry must necessarily be the best paid. A skillful cabinet
maker must receive a higher price for his work than an ordinary
carpenter, and a good watchmaker more than a farrier.
  The arts and crafts which are accompanied by risks and dangers like
those of founders, mariners, silver miners, etc. ought to be paid in
proportion to the risks. When over and above the dangers skill is
needed they ought to be paid still more, e.g. pilots, divers,
engineers, etc. When capacity and trustworthiness are needed the labour
is paid still more highly, as in the case of jewellers, bookkeepers,
cashiers and others."

Is this what you are after?
Tony Brewer ([log in to unmask])
University of Bristol, Department of Economics
8 Woodland Road, Bristol BS8 1TN, England
Phone (+44/0)117 928 8428
Fax (+44/0)117 928 8577